Working safely in the occupational diving, snorkelling and free-diving industries
These guidelines offer advice to businesses on safe occupational diving activities using compressed gas underwater, and safe occupational snorkelling and free-diving.
If you would like to apply to become a certified occupational diver, please complete our form.
Role of WorkSafe
The role of WorkSafe in occupational diving is to act as the regulator for ensuring the safe operation of the occupational divers in New Zealand. We do this by:
- assessing that applicants of Certificates of Competence meet the Health and Safety in Employment Regulations pertaining to occupational diving
- working with the diving industry to provide good guidance and to improve occupational diving best practice
The Diving Industry Advisory Group
The Diving Industry Advisory Group (DIAG) represents each of the occupational diving sectors in New Zealand and is the conduit between these sectors, hyperbaric experts and WorkSafe New Zealand.
WorkSafe and DIAG work together to identify and reduce preventable injury through adherence to good practice by industry.
For more information, see the DIAG website.(external link)
From time to time WorkSafe and DIAG may issue additional guidance to provide in-depth technical information or clarification on specific topics. These are listed below:
- Bounce diving
- Reverse profile diving
- Use of underwater thermal cutting equipment in occupational diving
- Use and maintenance of a diver's hose in occupational diving
- Diving with underwater powered tools
- Breathing oxygen and enriched mixtures while diving
WorkSafe may issue safety alerts on specific topics. The following safety alert highlights the serious health and safety risks posed for occupational divers if they have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Scientific diving training requirements [PDF, 174 KB]
- Aquaculture Industry Diving - good practice guidelines(external link)
For additional documents please go to Working as an Occupational Diver
If you have any questions on occupational diving contact Occdiving@worksafe.govt.nz