Court Summary - at a glance
Being a PCBU having a duty to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of workers who work for the PCBU, while the workers are at work in the business carrying out roof repairs and repainting, did fail to comply with that duty and that failure exposed individuals, including John James Moreton, to a risk of death or serious injury arising from a fall from height.
It was reasonably practicable for Dans Renovations Limited to have:
- Ensured that edge protection was installed around the perimeter of the roof at 62 Orbell Street, Sydenham, Christchurch.
- Ensured that a site specific safety plan was developed, implemented and communicated to all workers on the site at 62 Orbell Street, Sydenham, Christchurch.
- $80,000 to wife of deceased
- $10,000 each for the five children of the deceased (awards made without VIS)
- $122,899.40 - ACC top up to be paid to the wife of deceased
- $1,536.50 - to be paid to wife of deceased for time taken off work during the funeral as unpaid leave
- $7,259.68 - to be paid to the daughter of deceased for funeral expenses