Court Summary - at a glance
Ensure the hazards of lifting the machine are being properly identified;
Develop an adequate lift plan, which would include;
- Identifying which suspension or lifting method would be used;
- Identifying the equipment required for that particular process, for example, a forklift, crane, or hydraulic jack and rollers or packing;
- Identifying that only Mr Allen was required to undertake the task; and
- Ensuring that anybody not involved in this lifting operation were given specific direction to remain outside any identified hazardous area until the lifting operation had been completed.
Establish provisions of alternative equipment more suited to the task of lifting or adjusting the height of the machine, for example;
- Toe jack or adjustable leg fitted to the machine's frame;
- Single or paired hydraulic lift jacks with the use of chocks;
- Fitting with lifting points in conjunction with forklift or crane with the use of chocks; and
- Fitting lockable screw jack castors to the legs of the machine's frame.