We have accepted an enforceable undertaking from Inframax Construction Limited.
On 14 October 2019, while cleaning a low load trailer, the victim was crushed when the trailer ramp collapsed due to the hydraulic pump not being operational. He sustained fatal injuries.
Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, S 36(1)(a), 48(1) and 48(2)(c)
The alleged contravention does not amount to an offence against section 47 (reckless conduct) which would preclude it from being accepted.
Summary of Enforceable Undertaking
- Financial amends to the victim’s family
- A suite of additional controls to ensure the safe use of hydraulic equipment
- Leadership development in Health & Safety
- An experience and solutions campaign regarding the incident
- A cadetship in Health & Safety
This enforceable undertaking has a total expenditure of at least $1.1m.
Reasons for Accepting the Undertaking
The enforceable undertaking meets the requirements of WorkSafe’s Enforceable Undertakings Operational Policy (June 2019):
- The nature of the proposals in the application and the benefits that would be realised to the health and safety system from them: The activities in the enforceable undertaking will provide long-term sustainable health and safety improvements in the workplace; industry; and community.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and how serious it was.
- Information received from any interested party in relation to the contravention.
- Mitigation and remedial action, already taken or planned, regarding both the contravention and any person affected by the contravention (including victims).
- The person’s past performance and history of compliance with health and safety legislation.
- Any likely outcome if the matter were dealt with by legal proceedings.
- A charge was filed in relation to this incident on the basis that there was both evidential sufficiency and a public interest in initiating prosecution. A successful prosecution outcome may have resulted.
- The undertaking accounts for the benefits that accrue to Inframax by a prosecution not proceeding.
- Any other matter which WorkSafe thinks is relevant.
- The undertaking delivers benefits beyond compliance.
- The undertaking supports WorkSafe’s strategic objectives.
- The undertaking contains acceptable terms.