We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
WorkSafe has granted an exemption to PPG Industries New Zealand Limited from compliance with regulations 11.30, 11.34, 11.36 and 11.37 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 in relation to the site at 53 Wickham Street, Bromley, Christchurch.
The exemption is granted by WorkSafe in accordance with section 220 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 on the basis that WorkSafe is satisfied that—
- the extent of the exemption is not broader than is reasonably necessary to address the matters that gave rise to the proposed exemption; and
- the exemption is not inconsistent with the purpose of the Act; and
- the risks to health and safety of workers and others is managed through alternate controls such as higher fire rated walls and doors and sprinkler systems.
- the risks associated with the activities at the site are considered low.
- it is not reasonably practicable for the applicant to comply with the HS regulations as this would require significant construction at the site, the cost of which would be disproportional to the risk associated with the non-compliance.
The exemption comes into effect 25 January 2021 and expires on 25 January 2026 unless it is replaced sooner or revoked.
An amendment to this exemption was made on 31 March 2021 to correct a typographical error.