Dispensers are used for distributing flammable liquids. Dispensers may include pumps, and are often used at service stations for dispensing petrol and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

Dispensers used for the retail sale of class 2.1.1, class 3.1A, 3.1B or 3.1C must be approved by WorkSafe.

Manufacturing or importing dispensers

Dispensers used for the retail sale of class 2.1.1, class 3.1A, 3.1B or 3.1C must be designed to AS/NZS 2229:2004 or an equivalent, as specified in Part 17, subpart 9 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations(external link).

Check the dispenser record to find out if your dispenser has already been approved.

Getting a dispenser approved

To get a new type of dispenser approved, send the completed application form with all the necessary documentation to WorkSafe.

All approvals are issued with a validity period of five years.
An approval certificate issued by WorkSafe that contains an expiry date ceases to have effect on the day following expiry. If a dispenser is installed after the date of expiry, these examples of the dispenser will not be approved by WorkSafe under Regulation 17.47 of the HS Regulations.
On the above page please insert the following as the second paragraph under the heading 'using dispensers':

Dispensers that have a current approval at the time of installation are considered to be approved under Regulation 17.47 of the HS Regulations for the time that the product continues in service as originally installed, including maintenance needs.
This in service product does not need to be removed or replaced if the approval in force at the time of installation has now expired.
WorkSafe considers that the approval must be current at the time of installation to be compliant with Regulation 17.47.
Application for approval of a type of dispenser for retail sale (PDF 199 KB)

Using dispensers

When installed, dispensers are part of a stationary container system, that is a fixed tank with associated pipe work and fittings.

You may need to get a stationary container system compliance certificate. You may also need to get a location compliance certificate.