We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Any businesses applying for a Class A asbestos removal licence must have a certified safety management system in place by 4 April 2018.
What is a certified safety management system?
A safety management system is designed to ensure a business has identified the risks and has taken appropriate steps to manage them.
View our ‘Safety Management System on a Page’ document, which is designed to make it easy to see what should be included in an SMS.
Businesses undertaking Class A asbestos removal work have until 4 April 2018 to get their safety management system certified through a scheme run by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand(external link) (JAS-ANZ).
A certified safety management system is one that:
- An auditor accredited by JAS-ANZ has certified as being compliant with:
- Australia/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4801:2001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems); or
- another international standard recognised by WorkSafe; and
- Meets any requirements prescribed in a safe work instrument issued by WorkSafe.
To help make it easier to understand what should be in a safety management system, we have produced a graphic that outlines the common features of a system. This is based on the 18001 standard but is relevant to 4801.
Which standard should I use for my safety management system?
We recommend using OHSAS 18001. However, you can also use AS/NZS 4801:2001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems).
Asbestos specific accreditation scheme
We have also worked with JAS-ANZ and industry to produce a new accreditation scheme specifically for Class A removalists, based on ISO18001. It is more specific to the work of Class A asbestos removalists and provides you with greater assurance that your safety management system is fit-for-purpose.
Finding a JAS-ANZ Certifying Audit Body:
- If you go onto the JAS-ANZ website(external link), hover your cursor over “Our Directory” across the top and then “Accredited Bodies Search” in the drop down list.
- Click “advanced search” (above “we have found 129 accredited bodies” and below “important notices”)
- Search by Standard leaving schemes program etc. empty, but do change the country to NZ.
- The standards we accept (currently) are 18001 and 4801 so put in either of these.
- Click Search.