Information for replacement certificates of competence (CoC) including how to apply and pay for your certificate, and where to find help.

Certificates are valid for five years and issued by the New Zealand Mining Board of Examiners (BoE). If your certificate has been lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced you can apply to the BoE to have it replaced. Replacement certificates are a duplicate of the original, keeping the original issue and expiry dates.


To apply for a replacement certificate, you need to prove that you meet all of the requirements. In summary, you need to:

  • complete the application form
  • provide a copy of your identification.


The application fee for this certificate is NZ$30.00. This includes goods and services tax (GST).

These steps provide a basic overview of the documentation required for a replacement CoC:

1. Application form

There are two ways you can apply:

  1. Apply online(external link) - With online applications you can complete your application form and upload all supporting documentation through the website. 
  2. Printable application form [PDF, 102 KB] - Print the application form and send it in via email or post.

2. Identification

Provide a certified copy of one of the following items to confirm your identity. The copy must be of a current (unexpired) document:

  1. New Zealand driver’s licence
  2. current refugee travel document used by or on behalf of the government of New Zealand
  3. New Zealand or overseas passport
  4. New Zealand firearms licence
  5. current certificate of identity
  6. New Zealand Police or New Zealand Defence Force photo identity card issued to non-civilian staff.

You must provide a certified copy of your identification; this means it is required to be certified by an authorised person such as a lawyer, Justice of the Peace, Court Registrar, or notary public.

3. Fees

The application fee for this certificate is NZ$30.00. This includes goods and services tax (GST). Please pay by direct credit.

To ensure payment reaches the BoE Secretariat, complete the fields in the direct credit form as outlined below:

Account Name: WorkSafe NZ
Bank: Westpac Account: 03-0251-0040445-000
Particulars: Last name
Code: First name
Reference: Extractives CoC

4. How to send your application

You can send your application form and supporting documentation through one of the following options:

Paper applications

a. Via email

Send scanned copies of your application and supporting documents to the BoE Secretariat.

b. Via courier/post

New Zealand Mining Board of Examiners (BoE) Secretariat,
PO Box 165,
Wellington 6140

Online applications

Applications that are completed and submitted through our online system(external link) automatically get sent to the BoE Secretariat for processing.

For your application to be considered complete, you must provide all required information and supporting documents. If your application is considered incomplete you will be given 10 working days to provide the requested information or documents. If you have not provided this within the 10 working days your application and supporting documents will be returned to you.

For more information, see our Incomplete applications policy [PDF, 47 KB].

As a holder of a CoC you must demonstrate that you have complied with the continuing professional development (CPD) requirements when renewing your CoC.

CPD requirements are prescribed by WorkSafe and the BoE renews all CoCs. 

To find out more, see our information about CPD and your requirements.

Contact us for more help

If you have any questions about CoCs or anything else relating to the New Zealand Mining Board of Examiners, please contact our Board Secretariat team, who are happy to help:

Email: BoE_Secretariat@worksafe.govt.nz