WorkSafe has granted an exemption (LAB7738SP) to the New Zealand Police from compliance with Regulations 15.13, 15.16 and 15.17 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017.
The application to grant an exemption has been decided as follows:
The exemption is granted by WorkSafe in accordance with section 220 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 on the basis that WorkSafe is satisfied that—
- the extent of the exemption is not broader than is reasonably necessary to address the matters that gave rise to the proposed exemption; and
- the exemption is not inconsistent with the purpose of the Act.
WorkSafe notes that—
- The single 0.5L air cylinder is similar to an approved design that conforms to an internationally recognised design standard for cylinder manufacture intended to ensure a high level of safety when the cylinder is pressurised
- The gas traffic for the single Catalina Cylinders – Cliff Impact Division cylinders with serial number FK0060621 is limited to Air only; and
- the manufacturer and inspector of the imported cylinder have a strong compliance and quality control history.
This exemption takes effect on 22 December 2021 and expires on 22 December 2026 unless it is sooner replaced or revoked.