We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
WorkSafe has a variety of key operational activities and priorities within the petroleum sector.
Key operational activities
Driving improvements in industry major hazard safety performance through proactive regulatory interventions such as:
- Risk-based inspection of operations to determine the adequacy of management systems. The inspection considers relevant risk factors, performance and compliance history, current industry incident trends, and any relevant findings from previous inspections.
- Investigating accidents and process safety incidents
- Enforcement of statutory duties and requirements
- Working with relevant stakeholders to identify, define, document and promote good practice in the assessment and management of major hazards in the upstream petroleum sector.
- Developing inspectorate capability
- Developing information infrastructure to support regulatory activities
- Creating policies and procedures that will allow transparent and consistent administration of legislation
- Producing guidance for employers and other duty holders on their reporting obligations under health and safety law.
- Preparation of decommissioning legislation
- Working with International Petroleum Offshore Regulators on Asset Integrity.