We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
WorkSafe has a variety of key operational activities and priorities within the geothermal sector.
Key operational activities
Driving improvements in industry major hazard safety performance through proactive regulatory interventions such as:
- Risk-based inspection of operations to determine the adequacy of management systems
- Investigating incidents and accidents
- Responding to and management of notifiable events.
- Enforcement of statutory duties and requirements
- Working with relevant stakeholders to identify, define, document and promote good practice in the assessment and management of major hazards in the geothermal sector.
- Provide guidance in the reporting requirements of the Geothermal Regulations 1961 Section 35A.
- Produced guidelines for improved reporting of accidents, and dangerous occurrences and notifications.
- Working with the geothermal industry to develop improved hazard identification and risk assessment processes.
- Encouraging industry on the development of sector specific guidance on technologies with potential off-site risks such as low-enthalpy ‘Binary’ units.
- Coordinate and conduct joint inspections with WorkSafe Major Hazard Facilities (MHF) team on geothermal binary systems.
- Preparation for review of safety cases due to be submitted under the MHF legislation 2018.